July 17, 2017
Pizza is one of the few foods that has the ability to spur heated discussions and late-night debates. New York style vs. Chicago style. Thin crust vs. thick crust. Regular vs. Sicilian. Plain vs. toppings.
And just when you thought you had your preferences nailed down, a new style stepped onto the scene. The latest pizza trend is all about alternative crusts. Made with gluten free flour or a veggie base, they’re healthier versions of everyone’s favorite dish.
While you may think “healthy” and “pizza” just don’t go together; I can assure you that chefs have come a long way in improving the quality of the gluten free pizza crust. Whether you’re on a restricted diet or love trying new things, these crusts will make a believer out of you!
5 Tempting Gluten Free Pizza Crusts
- Cauliflower: Made with grated cauliflower, the crust is thin and crispy when baked to golden perfection.
- Zucchini: Shredded zucchini combines with fresh herbs to create a low-carb crust that yields a flavorful pizza.
- Chickpea Flour: Pizza with chickpeas? Yes! This variation derives from Italy. Known as socca, these are often made in a cast-iron skillet and enjoyed as flatbread or pizza crust.
- Polenta: Made with ground cornmeal, polenta can be served as porridge or formed into dough. And when you have dough, you have pizza crust!
- Paleo Dough: If you’re looking for traditional dough you can roll out, replace regular flour with a grain-free alternative like almond flour or a mix of tapioca and coconut flour. It’ll still be gluten free, and you might not even taste the difference!
If you’re a pizza fan (like me) don’t be afraid to think outside of the takeout box. Experiment with a gluten free pizza crust. While you’re at it, play with innovative toppings like bluefoot mushrooms, slices of prosciutto, basil pesto and feta cheese.
Stay up on the latest foods trends with Chef Chic! Let us prepare exciting meals for you and your family. We’ll keep your plates full of the latest food trends and freshest ideas. From gluten free pizza to Peruvian ceviche, we’ve got you covered! Call today (520) 406-2757.