September 25, 2017
The cheese and cracker platter is the go-to party food for easy entertaining. Whether you’re having friends over for football or Thanksgiving dinner, everyone seems to migrate around the cheddar and Ritz. But how can you step it up for an elegant occasion?
If you’re hosting an upscale event and want to make it extra special, simply give your everyday party food favorites an upgrade. You can, of course, opt for foie gras and caviar, but adding intrigue to comfort food classics can be a more approachable option. If cheese and crackers are what your guests love…go with it!
Play with mixed textures, fun flavors, and pops of color to amp up all of your party food platters. This is how we do it at Chef Chic…
Build A Better Cheese & Cracker Platter
- Try New Cheeses: Head to a local cheese shop or the cheese counter at your grocery store and ask to taste a few options you’ve never tried before. Cave-aged cheeses have a granular texture while soft French cheese are easy to spread. Consider a bit of both to add diversity.
- Jam Out: Cheese and crackers are made even better with a dollop of homemade jam or chutney. They lend sweet (and sometimes spicy) notes that balance out particularly pungent cheeses. If you don’t have time make your own, look for pre-made gourmet varieties.
- Give a Fig: Another way to impart sweetness and fill out the board is by incorporating fresh fruits. Figs are especially stylish if you can find them in season. Otherwise, grapes, dates, and sliced apples and pears are also pretty additions. Just be sure to squeeze a bit of lemon juice onto fruit slices to keep them from browning too quickly.
- Pickle It: If you are a fan of pickling, now is the time to pickle those late-summer veggies. Then, arrange them nicely on the board or serve them in a small mason jar with a cocktail fork. Again, if you don’t pickle at home, you can buy all sorts of pickled vegetables at the store, from carrots and string beans to cucumbers, radishes, and more.
- Go Outside the Box: Traditional crackers are great, but there are a lot of other party food options. Toasted baguette slices are elegant and gluten-free crackers are helpful if you have friends with food allergies. Homemade veggie chips add a lighter touch. Better yet, offer a combination so your guests can pick, choose, and try a little of everything.
Planning a Party? Need a little help? We specialize in planning customized party food menus and creating memorable events to suit all of your preferences. Contact us to learn more about our personalized catering services in Tucson, Arizona. (520) 406-2757